Thursday, February 2, 2017

My Process

When I posted the photograph below on Instagram, 'stitchqueengem' asked me to talk about my process. I thought it would be easier to do so on my blog rather than Instagram.  

                  


   

I've mentioned this book in a previous post, but will say again that Mandy Pattullo's book, Textile Collage was the first and only book on knitting, quilting, embroidery, or drawing that I read cover to cover. I had been trying textile collage as well as embroidery separately and was not pleased with the composition in the collage (because I was piecing on the machine and limited to joining vertically and horizontally) and was just 'OK 'with my embroidery. I had done some raw edge collage and raw edge applique and was pleased with those pieces but did not 'love' them. Something clicked when I read Ms. Pattullo's book and I again started doing collage with embroidery which led to pictorial scenes with flowers, much like the flowers I have drawn and painted, and using embroidery stitches from other work I have done.

I begin with a piece of muslin with a piece of batting on top. At this time I am working each piece of this series in mostly monochromatic compositions using scraps from my wonderful collection of itsy-bitsy pieces from my quilt-making and a collection of larger scraps from my and my friend's quilt-making. I am also incorporating some cut up clothing, and other cuttings from fabrics that I purchased for these collages. I try to stay away from my uncut fabric collection except for the use of the backing. I have been saving these scraps and clothes for years knowing that I would one day use them this way.

I arrange the pieces and pin them into place. I recently purchased applique pins and really like using them--they are short straight pins. Then I sew the pieces to the muslin/batting background with a matching sewing thread--basically using a tacking stitch as suggested in Pattullo's book referenced above. Then I embellish with flowers using applique and traditional embroidery stitches. Nothing fancy or complicated. 

I am truly enjoying the ease of creating these pieces as much as the final result--I hope that does not sound conceited. I am often hard on myself and do not like what I produce, always comparing my work to other people's work that I like and admire. 

I think the process is super easy and fun. 

Baci e abbacci