Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Fabric Collage

I am smitten with fabric collage. I love it from beginning to end. No. 6 is the largest piece I have embroidered and it took 2 weeks to complete. It measures approximately 23 by 16 inches. There were so many times I wanted to abandon it. I loved it, I hated it, I was sick of it, I did not know what to do with it. Now that it is finished, I am pretty pleased with it. I worked on it the whole time in landscape. My husband, "the most interesting man in the world" (from the Dos Equos commercial with the guy who flips the painting in the gallery and then everyone sees it clearly), insisted that it looked best vertically. He was right. I am so happy with the outcome that I am going to have it professionally framed and enter it in the juried staff show at work. 

 
The fabric pinned in place.

During the collage process I started by taking my inspiration from a painting by Bill Scott. I love his work. His color, line and especially composition are beautiful, but I just could not make it work. I started from scratch at least 3 times then I took this photo so I could "draw" my embroidery lines on the collage with colored pencils to plan everything out prior to making a stitch. I could not be bothered. I need to just start stitching without too much of a plan. I knew I wanted to go back to the embroideries I was doing on a plain piece of fabric using the blanket stitch.

 

A lot of people seem to like this design (I've sold a couple) and thought I would like to work with it over collage. I also love this stitch in the round. So I started at one corner and worked my way up. I used more collage and raw edge applique for the circular blanket stitch centers.


 

 

 

It was a good experience to work so large. I tried new things because I had lots of space to play. The new piece I am working on is smaller. It is definitely easier to do the collage in a smaller area and I wanted to get something ready quickly because I don't leave the house without a project to work on. 

(Sorry, the colors are really pretty in person. The photos are not "true.")

Baci e abbracci