Friday, January 13, 2017

Reject Block



This is one of the many "reject" blocks that I had laying around my studio. I grabbed it one day to take with me to work on during the commute and lunch break because I NEVER leave the house without a project. This one gave me a few weeks worth of stitching time.

By the time I was almost done with the embroidery I came across this book, Crazy Quilting, which was a nice little guide to add to my library.

I decided to "frame" the block with a quilted border and bind the edge. Still in the quilting process as that was started over the winter break and set aside for my collage series. It is sort of like a crazy quilt with lots of stitches including buttonhole-wheel, feather, fishbone, laisy daisy, chain, blanket, backstitch, french knots and woven wheel. All of it is using different numbers of strands of embroidery floss except for the roses. I, again, went into my stash of coned yarn from my machine knitting days and used 3/2 mercerized cotton. (I gave away a lot of that yarn, but kept one cone of each color--just in case. So glad!)

And what is that little sparkly, silver cat in the upper right corner? She is my little needle minder and I love her!

Baci e abbracci