Tuesday, April 28, 2015

tutto a posto tuesday



On the first tutto a posto tuesday--rescheduled from April 21--I am showing a piece that is a little different than the others I have been working on. As I said in my April 21 post, this first piece for this blog series took much longer than I thought it would. Not only does the chain stitch take a lot of time, but when I finished what I had planned I wanted to add my signature "lace scallop-picot" edge. I am hoping that this is the first of a series of works that incorporates the look of quilting into the embroidery by using some of my “strings” (scraps of fabric) in a patchwork/block style type of arrangement, but instead of embroidering a running stitch as in quilting, I am using the chain stitch. I think the little "v's" of the chain stitch not only remind me of my beloved knitting but are soooo pretty! Again, analogous colors, this time with the addition of complimentary colors as well.




Sorry, these photos are not the best...

I decided to set this series aside as I am not really sure of where to go next. Look for my next piece to be more in line with the other work I have done.

I recently started reading Tanis Gray’s blog (you can click on it on my sidebar) who is doing a series of posts on Color Theory. She is a fabulous knitwear designer, author, and sewer, and she makes beautiful project bags that are for sale in her Etsy Shop.  Her April 21 post discusses Color Psychology. It was interesting to see which colors convey which emotions. The color wheel at the top of the post made me think about my color choices. It is interesting to think about why an artist may have chosen a color or group of colors to use in their work, even if it was something in the subconscious that made them make the choice. I personally love orange, but thought it was interesting when I saw that color could convey frustration and being nervous and anxious. It is something to think about next time you are picking out colors. I personally know someone who always works with the same colors either together or separately. Does that mean she is always in the same mood? Now that I actually think about it, I always tell my husband that she is the most even-keeled person I know. She and I have never argued about anything. Mmmm...

This work will be available in my Etsy Shop after I take better photos.

Baci e abbracci