Thursday, December 26, 2013

New Attitutde

Hey there! Haven't been posting for a while--just not in the mood. 

I have been making things and am pretty pleased with the way some of the things have turned out. Also, I made a big decision. I gave myself a year from around Thanksgiving to get my Etsy shop up and running or give up the idea entirely. Enough already! I have wanted my own business since the 80's and for one reason or another have not been able to get it together, so I decided do it now or stop thinking about it. Of course I work full-time, so it won't be easy, but I think I have a couple of good ideas. Anyway, trying to make a bunch of things to open my shop with a full stock, so stay tuned.

I don't know if you remember the beautiful Cladonia shawl I made last year. /this is what it looked like when I finished it. I was so proud!



So, I rarely wash anything by hand. I put everything in the machine. The more delicate things go into a lingerie bag. Last June I was washing my woolens to pack them away for the summer and I threw my shawl into the washing machine with everything else, without thinking. I did not put it into a lingerie bag. When it came out it had a huge hole in the lace. It probably got caught on the agitator. I was devastated. This shawl was the most intricate lace I have ever done and next to the Swallowtail Shawl, the most beautiful thing I have ever made. I love the Madelinetosh Tosh Sock yarn and the subtle iridescence. 

I was planning on fixing it in Italy, but really did not think I was in the mood, so now almost a year later from the day I finished making the shawl I have prepared it to re-knit the lace border.

First I picked up the first row of the "set-up" for the border. Then I removed the border by cutting an end stitch and pulling out the row.


Next, I tried to salvage as much of the yarn as possible. A little bit of a hassle as singles yarn, especially after being washed is a little difficult to rip out. I did not save the picot edge as I have plenty of that and it was really difficult to rip, so I removed it and made a cat toy with it.


Now I am ready to re-knit the beautiful lace border. I still have .9 ounces of new yarn for the lace and now the 1.4 ounces that I ripped out.

Someone told me that I deserved to have this happen because I wash my hand knits in the washing machine. That person also told me that the definition of fair isle knitting is knitting with more than 2 colors in a garment and stranded knitting is knitting with only 2 colors in the garment. I said nothing. I've only been knitting for as many years as this person has probably been alive (around 30), and certainly know the definition of fair isle knitting--I've done enough of it--but she made me doubt myself and I looked it up.

From About.com:

"Fair Isle is a specific form of color work knitting named for Fair Isle, a small island off the coast of Scotland where knitters were known for their skill with the technique.

Fair Isle traditionally uses two colors of yarn in a row, though more than two colors CAN be used in a project. The yarn that is not being worked is carried along the back of the work, creating strands or floats that make the knitting twice as thick as it would otherwise be.

The knitting of Fair Isle was popularized when the future king Edward VIII was seen sporting the designs while golfing in the 1920's.

These days, Fair Isle is sometimes used to refer to any stranded knitting technique in which two colors are worked per row. Knitting history purists say that Fair Isle should only refer to those patterns that are traditional to the Shetland Islands where the technique originated, calling other motifs using the same stranding technique stranded colorwork or stranded knitting."

So this person really did not get any of it right. I believe the piece they showed me was actually a traditional Fair Isle motif, made of 2 colors, which a purist would say is Fair Isle!

So why did I let this bother me so much? Just one of many things that I have allowed to bother me recently, but this challenged my field of expertise. And I did not like how cocky this person was when they "corrected" me. So I will just try to stay to myself for a while, Mr. R believes it is better that way and I am beginning to agree.


Baci e abbracci.