Sunday, October 20, 2013

My First Tutorial

Yesterday my friend and I attended a very small quilt show at the Memorial Sports Complex in Marlton, NJ. It was hosted by the Berry Basket Quilt Guild. The main reason I attended this show was to supplement my collection of Handloom Batik fabrics. I shopped from this vendor twice in the last few years and both times picked the same colors, neglecting red. This time I got smart and took my fat quarters with me and purchased what I needed.



Otherwise the show was very small and the vendors that attended brought very little with them. I would not have minded if there had not been an entry fee. Of course I found things to purchase, and I also learned about a unique thimble. I stopped to watch the person hand-quilting and noticed the beautiful thimble she was using. I asked her the name and looked into it. The Roxanne Thimble comes in several sizes (watch the video for how to find out the correct size to purchase) and is available in sterling silver, silver plated, gold plated and bronze. It is expensive and I am considering it, but I still am not able to work with anything but the leather thimbles, so I would have to keep practicing with the metal thimbles before making such an investment.


Some pretty bird fabric, really pretty ribbon of antique scissors and a spool of thread and some fat quarters.


A fat quarter of antique machines I could not resist.

When my friend came to pick me up, she brought a "make and take" project with her from Pennington Quilt Works (oh the life of a retired person...). It is a cute potholder. When she showed me how it is made I was excited! I thought I could do my first tutorial. Unfortunately I do not know who came up with this pattern.





For this project you will need:



(5) pieces of fabric that measure 10 inches x 10 inches
(1) 10 inches x 10 inches piece of muslin
matching or contrasting thread (your choice)
(1) 10 inch x 10 inch piece of insulated batting (I used Insul-Bright that I purchased a while ago from Amazon.)

I used the pre-cut fabric I purchased from Connecting Threads, Indigo Patchwork 10 inch squares, one package of 22 squares of fabric for $9.11.

Walking Foot for Sewing Machine

Step 1: Choose 4 of the 5 fabrics for the front. Fold each piece in half, wrong sides facing. Press.


Step 2: Layer your fabrics as pictured with the creased side toward the center. (Note: I found out after I ripped out a seam that it is easier to layer the batting and back and arrange the front on top.)

Step 2 a.

Step 2 b. 

Step 2 c. 

The last step is like folding the flaps on a box. You lift the left top flap of fabric and the piece of multi-colored indigo fabric goes underneath.

Step 2 d. 

To look like 2d above.


Layer the fabrics as shown. Batting, backing (right side up) and top (which really does not have a right or wrong side, but if you like a particular order of which way the squares go--right side should go down). Using the walking foot (I did not at first and had to rip the seam out--there are many layers here), sew a 1/4 inch seam.


Clip your corners without cutting into the stitching.


Turn the potholder right side out and poke the corners with a knitting needle to get them as pointy as possible. Top stitch 1/2 inch around and then sew down each opening. I used a blanket stitch. My friend used another decorative stitch.


This was really easy. Although there is opportunity for more quilting, I think leaving it un-quilted provides more protection for your table top from the heat of the pan.


Now go make a bunch. My friend will be making them for stocking stuffers, and if you like to make kitchen/cooking gifts, I think adding this to a basket with a recipe and the ingredients to make a great dish would be sweet too.

Baci e abbracci