Saturday, September 28, 2013

Not for the Faint of Heart

Yesterday when we walked to the car to go home from the train, we realized we left the car at the train station not the supermarket parking lot nearby. As Mr. R. was walking back he noticed this dead bird. He knew I would want to see it and drew my attention without alerting the person we take home.

It worked out perfectly because she and I had to wait for Mr. R. to walk  back to the station and come back with the car. I decided this time I was going to take the dead bird home to study, photograph, and properly draw. In my bag I found a paper towel from my painting supplies and a plastic bag that held honey purchased earlier. I went to pick it up and saw tiny red ants had already started feasting. So much for bringing it home. So, trying not to hurt the ants I placed it back on the ground and took photos with my phone. The paper towel kept blowing so it was not easy as bending down was hard on my back and my right arm is weak from the tendonitis or whatever is wrong with it. (I will hopefully find out this coming week as I finally made a doctor's appointment with a specialist.) We covered the bird with the paper towel secured with a brick at the corner, as the ants were on the towel at that point which would have blown away and I wanted them to find their way back to the bird.

The pictures are not great, and I am not sure of the identification, but I was thinking warbler. I have to look it up in my Peterson's Guide. (UPDATE: My first ID was warbler, then on the way home I thought vireo, red eyed vireo to be exact, but when I looked on the internet, I said "no way." I just looked in the Peterson Field Guide and it seems to be a red eyed vireo. I only just noticed the gray cap.)

I have found dead birds before and always see it as an opportunity to study something that is always moving up close. The last time I found dead birds when a center city scaffolding was removed I gave one to an art student at work and the other to a member of the printmaking faculty, who gave me a print of the blue jay I gave him.

It is Saturday and I have not touched my sewing machine since the end of July so I am hoping for some enthusiasm to come my way. I saw a scarf at work that I would like to knock-off. (See photo above.) Knitting is painful and slow so I find myself sitting on the couch every night watching TV until 9:30 p.m. and then going to bed. Certainly not the way I spent the last year, hardly ever in front of the TV without something in my hands to work on. I must say it is disturbing and depressing to be in a creative funk.

Wish me luck!

Baci e abbracci...