Friday, August 16, 2013

Day 5 & 6

Mr. R works hard all day helping to set up the picnic with the other able-bodied men, while the women prepare the food. Not being able to take direction in Italian I have only been able to clear the table at the end. This year, however, some health issues that I thought I tackled in Philadelphia reared their ugly head here so I took this year off. It is a long day in a fly and mosquito ridden area and I just was not up to it. I joined the group for the crostate at Mr. R's insistence, bringing my own milk and coffee. First, no milk is served with coffee after noon and second the coffee is served after the sweets. To me there is nothing more satisfying or comforting that cake and coffee.
Since Mr. R was out all day, I was my own woman. I prepared my coffee and a simple tomato sauce with an egg dropped into the sauce to have for dinner with bread. I don't normally make dinner here or in Philly, but here it is a propane stove so I was especially pleased with myself. And my sauce came out very good, except I should have used the non-stick pan rather than the ceramic pot as the egg stuck to the bottom and evaporated some of my sauce.
I got a little knitting in, but no quilting. Half the day I fought falling back to sleep. Now Mr. R is asleep on the chair in the kitchen and it is not yet 9:00 p.m. I am wide awake for a change! We are not as young as we used to be...
Baci e abbracci