Monday, July 22, 2013

Woo! Finished!

The last of the quilts to give as baby gifts is complete. It is as if a weight has been lifted from my shoulders. Now everything I make is icing. I am still knitting hats and preparing a quilt to take on the trip to hand quilt, but don't feel quite as much pressure.

 I used a 5" wide jelly roll from Moda (the polka dot ombre fabric) and a charm pack of the Malka Dubrowsky fabric.  I still have about 1/2 of the charm pack and a few of the jelly roll strips. The black and white with a gray "ric rac" pattern is 3" squares sewn together basket weave style. (A mistake: I cut the striped fabric vertically instead of horizontally and did not have enough to cut it again the right way. Yes, I make a lot of errors, but they always work out in the end.)


The last quilt was quilted on my old Singer. I used this machine so I would not have to carry my Janome downstairs to use on the dining room table. The Singer was so difficult to use with the walking foot that I have had tendonitis in my right elbow for a couple of weeks now. So I decided--after quilting 25% of this quilt on the Singer--to use my Janome even though the sewing table is small. Much better. I love my Janome.


I decided on really organic lines figuring if I cannot sew straight lines, I should make them very uneven intentionally.



I used pink, orange and red strips for the binding to make the quilt really "girly." 

All three are going to be difficult to part with. The one that I intend to hand quilt is for Mr. R. and I--the first of 8 quilts will be for us to keep!

More pictures--of the knitted gifts--soon. All are very simple but classic.

Baci e abbacci.