Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Cladonia is Done!


Sorry, I could not get a better photo. The camera was at the ceiling but I could not get the whole shawl in the frame.


Knitted lace is a beautiful thing. It also amazes me that I produced this with my own two hands, two sticks and some yarn. Truly, no talent necessary, just the ability to follow directions.


The looped picot edge took just about all day. I found it quite tedious as it was not mindless knitting so the t.v. and the audio book could sometimes be a distraction. The striped section went quickly and easily. I have already complained about the lace and for the first time in a while followed the written directions rather than the charted directions because the written directions were less confusing. The Madelintosh is just an exquisite yarn. I am looking forward to the next project that I will be using it in and am glad I broke down and purchased it at $20 per skein (needed a little more than one for the Holden Shawlette). I still have a lot of the denim color left and am hoping I might get a pair of socks out of it.



Today, I decided to wear the socks that I made in Italy. They were made with left over Koigu--three different colors. I think I told you that I messed up with the row counter and one leg is longer than the other. This was the first knitting project after a 2 year hiatus, so lesson learned--I use the row counter and count rows when making socks.


I started a shawl in left over Koigu in blues a few years ago and pick it up every once in a while, but don't really like it as I altered a pattern to make it smaller. I might rip it out and wind the yarn for a pair of socks. The Koigu I have is 100% merino and feels very good on the foot.

I washed both the shawl and the socks in Soak last night. I received a sample from Wool Play yarn store on Friday for doing the right thing--which one should not be rewarded for, but the owner insisted. I went back after realizing I was not charged for some stitch markers--which I found I did not need to purchase after all when I got home, as I had at least 50 in those three sizes. But they were Clover and pretty green and lavender colored. The Soak is very nice. I used it in a small wash tub, washing the shawl first, then the socks in the same bath. I was not sure that the socks would not run, so I did not want to chance them in the tub at the same time. The best part of Soak is that you do not have to rinse. It smells great too. I will have to purchase a bottle next time I see it.

Wool Play is located at 22 N. Haddon Avenue in Haddonfield, NJ. It is a lovely little shop that was taken over by Danique Martin about a year ago. My friend and I happened upon it by just Googling "yarn stores in Haddonfield" because we were visiting The Little Shop quilting store literally around the corner. I have been shopping at The Little Shop for at least a year and never came across this yarn store--but I wasn't knitting for the last two years so I wasn't looking. Anyway, she has Madelintosh, Rowan, Noro, etc. plus a line of knitting needles and tools called Dreamz that I learned are made by the company who made/makes the interchangeable set of needles for Knit Picks. I use my Knit Picks interchangeable needles all of the time--more often than my Addi circular needles. I have them in wood and metal. I also have the metal double points which I use a lot, but I prefer a shorter double point if possible, so I use my Clover bamboo DPNs more often.

In fact, I am waiting for the Pendleton Needle Case from Knit Picks to be delivered so that I can pack one of my interchangeable sets for travel to Italy next summer.

Wow! it is 2:00 p.m. on my last day off... :-(

Gotta go...

Baci e abbracci...