Sunday, December 30, 2012

This has been the very best time off. I am still making things so I am quite content. I have not yet run out of inspiration. Zipper pouches are my latest sewing project. Neither one came out perfect. In fact the red one had to be opened up for me to redo one of the boxed corners. The pattern called for a handle, but I don't like handles on pouches this size. I thought the tab would look nice though. Red Pepper Quilts inspired me to start making these and I used the pattern from The Busy Bean like Ms. Hodge did. I still want to make a few that are sized for credit cards.







My friend and I went to a bead and yarn store in Collingswood, NJ (Jubilee) on Friday where I found these little charms and jump rings that I am using as zipper pulls. Gold would have probably worked out better on the red pouch, but I only purchased silver toned charms.

I am also knitting socks for TOMA's birthday.




I don't expect to have the second sock finished in time, but not too far beyond the deadline. They are 100% wool that was left over from a Swallowtail Shawl I made for myself; Araucania Natural Wool. I made the socks on #5 DPN at 6 stitches to the inch.

I have some more of this yarn in burgundy and intend to make a Penny Straker cabled vest for TOMA with it.

I have started working on the Cladonia Shawl (made with Madelinetosh yarn) again. I may have mentioned that I did not like the first row of lace that called for M1-s and YO-s next to each other so I decided to alter the row before that and do my increases in that row, which was knit all the way across. Then when I did the next row I knit the stitch that would have been the M1. Much better, I am 2 rows away from completing the lace pattern and see the shawl being finished soon.

I purchased some more Madelinetosh yarn as it is really beautiful and nice to work with. I usually don't like working with singles because it tends to wind back on itself while knitting, but not this yarn. This time I purchased Tosh light in a gorgeous hand painted purple that I cannot find on their site, so I assume this color is discontinued. I am going to make the Holden Shawlette (by Mindy Wilkes) with it. I found the pattern on Ravelry. The rule is that I have to finish Cladonia before starting Holden.

And the last project that I want to start is a top down yoke sweater. I purchased the Knitter's Hand Book of Top-Down Sweaters by Ann Budd on the last work day before Christmas. I was hanging out in the Barnes and Noble waiting for TOMA to get finished work (we were dismissed at 3:00 p.m.) and had a 25% off coupon burning a hole in my pocket. I have had some hand painted Brown Sheep yarn for years that would look great for this project.

I dug out a lot of yarn that I would like to knit up different things out of to either sell or give away as gifts.

Wishing you a happy & healthy New Year (Felice Anno Nuovo)!

Baci e abbracci