Saturday, November 3, 2012

Out of the Darkness

OMG! as a person born and raised in America I now know how spoiled I truly am. On Monday evening we lost electricity. Sometime in the middle of the night we got it back. I realized that I am so dependent on the things I have come to take for granted. Once we returned to work on Wednesday and had to leave and come home to a dark house such a depression came over me. I don't know if it was the difficulty of preparing for the work day without light, or coming home to chores without light that did it, or that I could not draw or use my sewing machine (I spent every evening knitting and reading with a light that hung from my neck), but it was just so uncomfortable emotionally that I started crying at work yesterday when I found out that the promised restoration for last night was moved to Monday, 10:00 a.m. The only reason we have power right now is because the thing next to the transformer started sparking last night due to the wind and the fire department (who was patronizing to the neighbors when they arrived), and the electric company were bothered enough by our complaints of possible danger of our flat roofs and the tree next to the utility pole possibly catching fire that they finally fixed the problem that had 29 households without power for almost a week in a major city.

I understand the priorities and economics of the situation, but being one of the unlucky 29 while watching the neighbors across the street enjoy lights in the evening is frustrating. It was especially frustrating to know that it was a quick fix if only they could send out someone to take care of it. I do appreciate the electric company employees working around the clock to restore power and know that everyone cannot be fixed at once.

All throughout I admitted that I was lucky. I have a roof over my head, clothes and blankets to keep warm, a gas stove and hot water and a job to go to during the day, but I just couldn't help being down. It is a great lesson to actually to be without and suffer a little, but know that you are still a lucky one because your suffering will end. It reminds us to stop looking at the "haves" with envy and to keep your eye on the "have nots" to remember to be thankful everyday for what you do have. As my husband always says when I complain that I don't have enough energy/time to be creative--life is a struggle, it used to be that you woke up, got your work done, and went to bed. That was life for his grandparents and parents in Italy. Americans are all about "living your dreams," they have forgotten the life of their ancestors, the everyday struggle with no time to have fun or be creative. Just being tired to the bone from working the field all day only to get up and do it all again until you rest in a pine box.

Anyway, the house is almost back to order. The washing machine is spinning, the dryer is turning, the heat just kicked on again, and the clocks are ticking the day away, but I am not going to fret if I don't get to sew today, because we still have to do a big food shopping trip. I am going to just be happy that I can watch a movie tonight and take advantage of all of my advantages in life.

Wow, see what happens when you don't watch T.V. or listen to anything but classical music on Pandora for a week. You just knit and think, knit and think, knit and think...

Happily with power in Philadelphia. Baci e abbracci...