Sunday, November 11, 2012

Inspiration

The Philadelphia Museum of Art Craft Show ends today and my friend and I attended yesterday. There was some really gorgeous jewelry and if I had the means I found a few artists whose work I would have definitely purchased.

The wearable art vendors seemed to follow the same trend as last year, which was felted accessories and garments. Not all, but many. They have upped the ante by using luxury fibers including cashmere and silk. Some really exquisite work. My favorites in the felted genre were Asta Barrington from Bath, England, WoollyMama from Burlington, Vermont, and Jeung-Hwa Park (who does not have a website, but can be found through Google).


Wallace-Sewell from London had the most beautiful silk woven scarves. 

K. Gereau Textiles also had some really nice designs out of felted merino and silk. When yarn of those combined fibers are felted, it looks a little like crepe because the wool felts and the silk does not. 

The last artist that really knocked me out was Stacey Lee Webber from Philadelphia. Her jewelry, made out of coins, was the most creative use of coins I have ever seen. I almost purchased a pair of cuff links for TOMA, but couldn't decide between two and then just decided against it because it was really the pieces where she used hinges that I loved--the bracelets and lockets.

It is days like yesterday that I really wish I had either a pocket full of money or better yet the talent and innovative ideas these artist have. Executing these designs takes patience and talent, but the true talent to me is coming up with the ideas. The artist did not come up with anything new. I have seen felt and silk combined, felt and shibori combined and woven silk scarves, but the use of color and detail was really amazing. Asta dyes all of her own fabric and does some machine embroidery that is quite unique. Actually, it was Asta's work that I was most sorry I could not own. The feather cashmere scarves with the fern-like fringe were begging me to take one home, but at $180 each that was just not happening in my lifetime. The satin pea pod scarves were also whispering to me, but again out of reach.

The rest of my day was quite nice. After the show we had lunch at a Vietnamese restaurant and then visited a yarn store. Then we sat at Barnes and Noble and knit over some refreshments. See below for the spoils of the day. I had coupons and a gift certificate, so the book below was about $5 out-of-pocket, and the shawl pin from the yarn store was also $5. I also purchased some yarn for gifts. (Shhh, I know, I was supposed to only use yarn I owned, but I told you I would not stick to that plan and I chose yarn that was not outrageous.) I would like to make some of TOMA's men friends hats and found a pattern at Purl Soho's site, purlbee.com (Thank you hats). Actually, I thought of making the hats after I saw the pattern. TOMA expressed a desire for one as well.




So, even though the slow, walking-stopping rhythm of the show is a true back-breaker for me and I was exhausted from that, it was a great day filled with treats for the eyes, imagination, and a couple for the studio.

I have been working on some sewing exercises from the Rayna Gillman book previously mentioned. I made some sachets using lavender sent to me from Apifera Farm for a donation we made in memory of Blue. She posted the story of how we came up with the money for the donation. If you read the story you will find out that the money was not ours, so I decided to make the sachets from that batch of lavender for people going through some sort of ordeal. I've made four and have given away three of them. The picture below is the last one I made and is waiting for a person to need a little pick me up.


Off to do some chores...

Baci e abbracci.