Wednesday, November 14, 2012

As you know I work at an art museum/school in Philadelphia, the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. I don't normally talk about work in this blog because you never know what might get you into trouble, but I will take the risk and tell you about an exhibition that opens this Saturday, November 17: The Female Gaze: Women Artists Making Their World. Yesterday the staff got a sneak preview and although we did not see the complete exhibition, I was inspired by a couple of paintings.

First, go to the description of the exhibition to learn about 'The Linda Lee Alter Collection of Art by Women." There is a slide show of some of the works in the exhibition to whet your whistle. Then, if you are in Philadelphia stop by and see it. The opening reception is November 16 and it is hanging until April 7.

I assume that mostly women read this blog and other blogs like it, and it is great to see women artists who made it (names you would surely recognize like Louise Bourgeois and Kiki Smith) as well as those who are not quite as well known, but whose work would excite and inspire your creative endeavors.

One of my new favorites is Gladys Nilsson. I saw her watercolor paintings in another exhibition at work and fell in love with her whimsical style. Her paintings are colorful and wild, but neat and precise in execution. Yesterday I found two new artists to add to my favorites list: Barbara Takenaga and Melissa Polhamus. Two very different styles but both really impressive. Takenaga's work is absolutely amazing, full of color (which I love) and totally mesmerizing. I just wanted to look at it forever. Polhamus' work reminds me a little bit of Jim Nutt's work (who married Gladys Nilsson). I also wanted to study it for a long time just to look at the different things going on in the paintings.

Anyway, I am not an art critic in the least bit. I just know what I find inspirational to my own work. Check the exhibition out if you have a chance, and remember everything I said in this post are my opinions and are not the opinions of PAFA or anyone else who works there. (Better safe than sorry...)

Baci e abbracci...