Sunday, June 10, 2012

Saying Goodbye to an Old Friend

When I started out my creative life I completed my foundation year of art school (Philadelphia College of Art, now University of the Arts). I was starting out my major, Graphic Design, but dropped out 2-3 weeks into my second year. During my time away from school, I was introduced to the knitting machine. I learned how to use one by apprenticing under a local craftsperson/designer part-time, and eventually my parents purchased my first machine for me. I then went back to  PCA as a Fiber major, hated it, took a course at each the Moore College of Art & Design and the Philadelphia College of Textiles and Science (now Philadelphia University) and transferred and graduated from Textile.

I was a passionate knitter for more than 25 years, first machine only, but then taught myself how to purl from a DVD (I knew how to knit as a child) and was just as passionate about hand-knitting. I had folded down 2 of the 3 machines to make room for the sewing machine leaving the standard gauge machine up in my small studio. Yesterday I folded that down to make more space. I haven't used it in over 3 years and actually noticed that it needs a foam padded bar replaced before it can be used again. Now I have more room for KittenHeads and drawing. It is sad to no longer have a desire to do something that every waking hour was spent thinking about or doing. It makes me wonder if I will want to do anything creative when I retire and have the time to devote to it. My fear is I won't want to do anything or won't live to retire...

Enough of that! The studio is less claustrophobic and I am doing some work outside of the sketchbook.


Baci e abbracci