Thursday, June 28, 2012

Out of Touch

I know I have not written in a while. I am going through a wee dry spell and am focused on something else. I am sort of a one-track minded kind of girl--I guess that is the OCD element of my personality. I have been concentrating on losing weight. Not only did I feel totally lousy every moment of the day, but I hated the matronly look I had acquired. Being endowed in the bust and hip area and short-waisted makes for a very unappealing look when the pounds creep on.

So, I am doing very well. I have almost hit my goal and expect to reach it prior to vacation. But most importantly I feel 100% better. For the first time exercise and diet have improved my energy level. Also, I can finally walk normally at a pretty decent speed. I still have to watch the sidewalk for uneven ground because I am afraid that I could fall, but it is so much better than anytime since the surgeries on my feet.

I decided to go back to the way I've lost weight in the past. Eat well, count calories and exercise. Pretty much a no brainer. I also realized just how much I hate the gym. I already knew getting the exercise out of the way first thing works best for me. It is so easy to make excuses after dinner. So up at 5:30 AM and in front of the TV. It also sets up your day in a positive way. If for some reason I do not do it, I have the chance to make it up at lunchtime with a walk, or after dinner (with a walk). Yesterday, I did my morning thing and the lunchtime walk to enjoy a chocolate chip cookie with ice coffee. YUM! I have read that if you are going to indulge, do it after a work-out when the metabolism is still high.

I also went back to the exercise routines that were successful in the past. Although the bicycle is best, I find it too stressful to be on the street with the crazy, inattentive drivers. The park also stresses me with the walkers in the middle of the path slowing me down. I started with Kathy Smith DVDs (http://www.kathysmith.com/). I started with the "Marching to Fitness" DVD (because naturally in a non-OCD moment of tossing things out I "no longer need or use" I threw out the video I had) and just received the Kettlebell work-out and the Step work-out, which I will start this weekend. (It takes me a few tries before I can successfully follow the routine.)

Honestly, even before I lost weight the improved diet of less junk and sugar and adding exercise 25 minutes per day made a great improvement in how I felt. I've lost 12 pounds and have 6 to go. If you are feeling depressed or sluggish, try changing your diet and exercise routine. The endorphins really do last a while throughout the day, and you will probably improve your appearance as well.

Baci e abbracci.