Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I am a pessimist. The glass is not only half empty, but it is cracked and leaking and will eventually be bone dry and in shards on the floor. I try to be upbeat--when I am not complaining about something that is--but I am naturally not happy-go-lucky. Instead I am waiting for the other shoe to drop. (Okay, enough of the metaphors...) When I read some blogs they are so upbeat and inspirational. You know the ones that have photos of handmade signs/cards with phrases like: "Do What You Love," or "Courage," or "Joy," or "Live your dreams." Okay you get it... I NEVER think of this stuff, NEVER. I am so thankful for the time that I feel like doing something creative, but know it will eventually end--just like that--and I will again be in the throes of having no inspiration or desire to do anything but watch the talking box.

I know these people get blue, but sometimes I think how are they so perky when they are "up?" When I am "up" I am a low-key version of manic--silly, singing made up songs. I am never perky, cute or sweet. And my "up" is usually a reaction to caffeine or being set free at the end of the day--usually these two things occur simultaneously which can be tough on TOMA when we get out of the quiet car on the train. It is a chatterbox festival.

It just makes me wonder, is there something wrong with me? Why am I annoyed with the world and complaining or low-key manic? It comes down to not following the good advice of the good ol' Serenity Prayer, "... grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." It also helps to not have too many expectations.

I do not know what brought this up because I had a pretty good day. Must be the daylight savings business...


He was just so long. Almost took up the whole width of the queen size bed! 


Hidden away in Philadelphia's City Hall 


are some wonderful 


 sculptures!


Couldn't post without mentioning the warm weather in Philadelphia 

Don't think I posted this one before... 

Falcon Cam--the male 

Falcon Cam--the female sitting on eggs 


I think I mentioned finishing a Moleskine watercolor book. Well I did not like some of the drawings so I either covered them up or re-worked them. This is a re-work of a chipmunk from a display at the Academy of Natural Sciences done on my lunch hour in the fall of 2010 


This is another cover up and the beginning of a series that I want to do. It will be done outside of the sketchbook or in a 9" x 12" Fabriano book I have not opened yet. More on this later...

 
Added color after a long time unfinished--didn't really like it--still really don't

This had the drawing of a European Starling (that was once a Common Grackle) with another bird that I did not like. Collage, watercolor, gel pen and whala! Now you see it, now you don't! 

Teesha Moore-ish horned people 

 Arch Street United Methodist from my office window on lunch hour

Flowers and paisley 

The very last page in the book. The beginning of the series mentioned above (see the Sacred Heart). Hint: it will be about animal welfare.

Bacci e abbracci