Sunday, January 1, 2012

Buon Anno!

Happy New Year! I wish you a year of contentment and good health.

In preparation for the first day of the new year, TOMA's birthday, I had a baking marathon. Because the way to this man's heart is through his sweet tooth.

My girlfriend, Mary, baked a delicious Irish Soda Bread for us for Christmas so I searched through my favorite King Arthur Flour blog and found this recipe. For Mary and her husband, I baked the Easy Cinnamon Bread. And then I baked the cafe style chocolate chip cookies for good measure. TOMA loved the new bread and of course his absolute favorite cookies were a hit.


TOMA surprised me and purchased a bottle of sparkling wine to go with dinner last night. He purchased this one because it said "dolce" on the bottle and if I am going to drink it must be sweet. Cakes, cookies, etc. are my weakness--I can live without alcohol--and usually do.
Dinner was a wonderful chicken cacciatore. He made brown rice and mixed it with the gravy from the chicken to make a risotto type side dish. It was a wonderful meal with milk and cookies for dessert.

I was in bed by 11:00 p.m. TOMA greeted the new year with the cats. I know you think this is bad of me, but one of his favorite movies was on--which he has seen at least 10 times--and I watched it with him even though I did not care for it the first time.

This morning I greeted him with lots of gifts even though he is not a gift person. It was fun! Two silk ties and cuff links. He really liked everything and was surprised.

Tonight my mom is coming over for coffee and birthday cake.

Baci e abbracci