Wednesday, June 1, 2011

It is Almost My Blogiversary!

I was just looking back on some posts and noticed that my first blog entry was on January 6--it is just about 6 months. That is kind of exciting. I re-read the first post and noticed that it had goals listed at the end--ut oh! I forgot about that. Here goes...

  • I have not completed 1 quilting or knitting project every 2 month. I completed one small knitting project in 6 months--no quilting.  
  • I have tried some of the techniques in the well over 20 books I have purchased in the last 1 1/2 years. 
  • "Finish the quilt I started for my mother's birthday, now almost 2 years ago." Funny thing, I signed up for an Unfinished Projects Night at a local quilting shop for tomorrow and 2 hours ago I emailed them to say I was not going to make it. I just couldn't bear trying to figure out where I left off and schlep my sewing machine, fabric, tools and thread to the shop by 6:30 p.m. on a work night. There are other classes scheduled and I paid for a string quilt class at the end of the month. 
  • I have worked in my sketchbook on average 3 times a week,
  •  and on average I have completed one post per week on this blog (actually twice per week--on average). 
So I am doing okay in meeting my goals, although there is room for improvement.

I do not think I mentioned this absolutely fabulous book I purchased recently, Nancy Crow. I have had it in my cart for months and decided to finally buy it. I opened it and was wowed! The most beautiful work ever. She has dyed most of her fabrics herself, which makes the quilts truly exquisite. It really inspired me to start sewing. However, first I have to change my studio a bit to use the sewing machine. That means find a place for all of the books, paint, paper, ephemera--all of it. There is just no where to put this stuff. Also, I would like to get acclimated to the sewing machine before taking this class at the end of the month.

I am drawing in my new sketchbook. I even put a wee bit of collage in one of them alla Roz Stendahl as shown in her Building Your Visual Journal from the Page Up class (free on the Strathmore Visual Journal site). I think her workshop was the best in the series. The first workshop by Pam Carriker was good, it even motivated me to purchase her book, but in the end, it is just not the kind of stuff I want to produce. I think what I like about Stendahl is that she can draw well, and she does it everyday. She doesn't doodle, or draw a variation of the same face/house/cat. The collage is just secondary--no gel medium, powders, mixed media. Drawing is her focus. I like that.

Buona notte. Sogni d'oro.

Baci e abbracci