Monday, May 30, 2011

OMG!!! Sooo Gooood

I just made the best carrot cake ever! Of course it is a King Arthur recipe--King Arthur's Carrot Cake. It was so easy. It was a little work shredding the carrots. I could not use my Cusinart because I don't have a fine shredding disc for it and the carrots have to be shredded finely. It was worth the extra work. I did not add the nuts and was worried when I saw how thin the batter was--this is my first carrot cake. I also read in the comments section of the recipe that the amount of frosting was a little scarce, so what does a frosting freak do? Double the recipe of course! If you decide to make it you will notice that you can substitute Fiori di Sicilia in the frosting for the vanilla--I did and that is what sends it over the top. It is a delicate vanilla-orange flavor that pairs perfectly with the cinnamon, ginger and cloves in the carrot cake. TOMA absolutely loved the frosting and the cake. If you like carrot cake, you will love this one. It is better than any carrot cake I've ever had anywhere--and I made it! (In the picture the frosting was still soft and we could not wait to try it. Once it firms in the fridge it will not smear when it is cut.)



The other thing I did this weekend besides draw (I will scan the pictures soon) was set up my new travel palette. I ordered 1/2 pans from Daniel Smith and filled them with my Cotman tube watercolors. Roz Stendahl does not care for this brand as she says they do not rewet well, but I like them fine. I also can't pay $7.00 to $13.00 per tube of the better brands. I do not even think my work warrants such expensive tools.

Anyway, I've been trying to lighten my load as my back and shoulder are killing me so I replaced the Cotman cakes in their travel kit with the tube paints--that is 12 colors and then the little mint tin for 6 more.

Baci e abbracci