Saturday, April 2, 2011

As Promised

As promised I am posting the second painting that I was trying to prepare for the exhibition. I did not have time to scan it, so I photographed it with my new Faber-Castell Polychromos. They are gorgeous! I read about them in the new book I purchased, "Botanical Portraits with Colored Pencils" by Ann Swan. She uses these pencils and since I am not crazy about the repellant nature of the Prismacolors I thought I would try these. In the store I was able to use my fountain pen filled with Noodler's Fountain Pen Ink over them, so we will see.



Also, the opening of the Continuing Education Show was last night. I told my mom not to come downtown during rush hour, so it was just TOMA and me. There were some really great works hanging. Mine paled in comparison. I don't agree with the judges choices for the prizes. Some works that were great got Honorable Mention or no prize at all. I, of course, don't understand the criteria so am not one to criticize.  There was a print by someone that I work with that I don't know well, so I didn't realize he was so talented. His name is Mark K. I really liked his work and he won 3rd prize. Congratulations!

And guess what? I won a prize--AGAIN! I won the Strathmore Pre-cut Watercolor Paper from the Sketchbook Challenge. It comes in different sizes pre-cut to match pre-cut mats and frames. Great idea. I just had a H-E-double toothpicks of a time finding a frame for the work for the show, and I mounted it on black paper rather than matting it because I cannot cut a mat. The best part is it comes in hot and cold press!!!! I love hot press because it is smooth and I use pen and ink. I hope I get really lucky and that is what they send to me. I am already lucky though to have won. I would definitely use it instead of the odd size Aquarelle Arches--although I like the block. It keeps the work flat while working on it.

Blick was having a sale on frames so I bought a bunch to frame some of my work, the Kathy Dunn print I won, and these 2 beautiful prints someone gave me as a gift. The artist's name is Chantal Westby. She left some prints of her paintings with my boss for review and when she came to pick them up she asked me to pick out 2!!! I never get a perk like that! I am very grateful; they are just lovely. Please look at her website.

Lastly, 2 people I know have serious health problems. Count your blessings if you are healthy and realize how small our problems are in comparison.

Baci e abbracci