Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Jury is In

In my last post I reported that I had one new work and was trying to complete another for a juried show at work. I couldn't finish the second painting so I framed a print of "My Feet." The new Photoshop version (sans excessive crosshatching). This painting was an assignment from the Drawing class I took last semester where I work--The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. This is the class that made me eligible for the show.

I dropped off both works yesterday and got the call today. They chose the drawing of my feet--not the bird ("Hope in the Dark"). I knew if they were going to choose one, the feet would be the one. After all, it is a Fine Arts School and the bird--if it goes into any catagory besides trite--is in the illustration genre. I am dissappointed. I worked hard to get that done for the deadline, and I think it is a better drawing. But, I got something into the show--my first! My mom and TOMA are going to come to the opening. It will be fun!

Anyway, I have been thinking that maybe I could start producing greeting cards and put them in my Etsy shop. You have to start somewhere and even though probably 5 friends/acquaintences know this blog exists, if I don't try, I will never know (see the Mark Twain quote in the sidebar regarding regret).

So this is the idea: my first give away with a cause. Once the cards are ready, I will post a drawing (pick a name out of a cat food bowl kind of drawing). Apifera Farms is my inspiration. Make a donation to PAWS (Philadelphia Animal Welfare Society), then let me know in the comments. I will set a deadline and then draw a winner. Easy Peasy! I will figure out all of the logistics prior to the contest. PAWS is a no kill shelter and can use our help.

Let me know if you think this is a good idea.

BTW, I just finished the second drawing and will scan it and post it soon.

Baci e abbracci