Sunday, February 27, 2011

Renewal of Faith in our Youth

Last night at the Barnes and Noble I met a wonderful young man and his little brother. He is 14 years-old and his brother is 8 years-old. They were there with their mother and the 14 year-old (I will just refer to him by his first initial, B.) complimented the sketch I was working on. Well "[he] had me at hello!" I was so flattered. He later mentioned me to his mom, so I asked him if he likes to draw. He also keeps a sketchbook. I offered him the blog address of Tommy Kane, Genine Zlatkis, and Kurt Hollomon.

B. was not only well-mannered--not for a fourteen year-old, but for a human being--but, surprisingly interested in what this 49 year-old woman had to say. None of the disinterested shoulder shrugs when asked a question, none of the looking everywhere but in my eyes when spoken to. He sat down with his notebook and wrote down the blog addresses and talked to me. His little brother, T. stood by and listened. It was an incredible experience because the kids that I have contact with are disinterested, disrespectful and rude. It was so refreshing to witness a true young man. I hope that his interest in drawing continues throughout his life and his dream of being a veterinarian is fulfilled.