Sunday, January 16, 2011

Today's Quote

I am a big fan of the show Criminal Minds. In fact, it is the only show that I make a point of watching every week. I know it can be gory, but I like the cast, especially Matthew Gray Gubler (an artist in his spare time) and Thomas Gibson. I also pick up some things from the show, like music (just found out about Leonard Cohen from a rerun of the last season's finale) and quotes. Today's quote is from the end of one of the episodes. And it rings true for me.

"Nothing is so common-place as the wish to be remarkable."

Don't we all want to be noticed for something? Especially those of us who create. I am so thrilled when someone compliments my work. People compliment my appearance, my baking, even the quality of my handknit pieces, but it doesn't compare to when they compliment my drawing or my knitting when I also designed the garment.

I also think it is part of the reason we blog. Doesn't blogging cater to the exhibitionist in all of us? Don't we want people to read our blogs? Those of us who show techniques are also providing a service, but honestly we love those positive comments.

The reason I brought this up is because I wish I didn't need that compliment so much. I wish I created for myself and no one else. I read the book by Summer Pierce, The Artist in the Office: How to Creatively Survive and Thrive Seven Days a Week. She suggests hanging your work up in your office, so I hang up color copies of my sketchbook pages around my desk. When someone tells me that they like one of my drawings it absolutely makes my day! Someone thinks I have some talent! And since I work in the art world (as an admin assist) if someone who teaches art or is an artist him/herself admires my work, well, I might just need a cigarette after the comment! (BTW: I don't really smoke.)

Why are creative people so needy? I see it on other creative people's blogs too. They just can't believe their submission has been accepted and published, they can't believe they got a show or have been asked to write a book. Why don't we believe in ourselves enough to say 'I don't care what the world thinks, I know I am talented'? I know the inner critic is a much discussed and much written about topic. I guess since I have been in a creative slump for a few weeks it is in the front of my mind.

I did a little drawing. Yesterday I was inspired by Diana Trout's (who I took a class with last spring and loved it) You-Tube video about her doodle game. So I tried it and came up with this:
Full Page

Detail

Then today while visiting TOMA's aunt I completed a simple line drawing of the pastries on the table. It is in my small Moleskine Cahier book, which doesn't take wet media well, so I am not sure I will add any color.



Baci e abbracci...