Sunday, January 30, 2011

Fabu Brownies

I have been in the midst of a baking binge. I made some white chocolate chip/cherry cookies (I use the Nestle Toll House cookie recipe and substitute white chocolate chips for the semi sweet and add a bag of Trader Joe's Dried Bing Cherries. After what seems to be the obligatory burnt first two dozen cookies, they came out pretty good. Even though I remembered to move the oven rack up, and switch the position of the cookie trays mid-way through baking,  I left them in for a minute too long--a bad decision. I decreased the baking time back to 9 minutes and decided to bake one tray at a time. Perfetto!

Today, however, was the climax of baking, King Arthur Flour Fudge Brownies. This recipe used to be on the back of their flour bag (maybe it still is, I haven't looked lately). I added a bag of the Trader Joe Dried Bing Cherries. The recipe from the flour bag does not include the espresso powder so I left it out. Espresso powder usually heightens the taste of the chocolate and in that small amount doesn't give a coffee flavor. These brownies are so chocolate-fudgie-good without the espresso so it is the baker's choice.

For some reason, maybe because of the added cherries and the moisture they contain the baking time needed to be increased. I don't know what it ended up to be because I kept adding 2 minutes, then 3 minutes, then 2 minutes, etc. Just check the brownies with a toothpick and when no batter sticks they are done. Of course, be careful not to burn them.

They are fabu, as my new office mate would say. TOMA did that little hand gesture Italians do when they are eating something and it is to die for. I always am happy when I make something and get the TOMA seal of approval. I must say he has great taste in clothes and food. And he hasn't stopped raving about them either. I've made the recipe a couple of times before, but the addition of the cherries gives a rich, moist, chewy goodness.

Anyway, go create something in the studio or the kitchen. The finished product will be your reward.



Baci e abbracci